I don’t know if you know this, but Peace Corps is hard, like kinda really hard. I know, I know you’re probably thinking “WHAAAAAAAAT, but Audrey makes it look so easy and fun!!” Which, don’t get me wrong, all in all I am very, very happy here, but I still have those days. Those days where I’m hitting my head against the table because I’m frustrated with my language level. Or when I haven’t changed my clothes in a week because it’s just too damn cold to expose my skin to the elements. Those days where I’m trying so hard not to freak out too much because I haven’t written any lesson plans. Or those days where I’m just so exhausted from just simply existing.
If you’re going to survive in Peace Corps Morocco you have to have a “How to Stay Sane Plan”. It really is the only thing to keep yourself from flying over the cuckoo’s nest. So I thought I would share with you my 5 tips on “How to Stay Sane Plan” while serving in Peace Corps Morocco.
- Meditate EVERY MORNING!!! No, but really! Every morning I lie in bed and meditate for at least 10 minutes before I start my day, just to ground myself. Once I walk out of my house I don’t know what’s going to happen. One minute I’m being chased down the street by the neighborhood kids and the next I’m at a baby naming party that’s lasting for god knows how long.
- Workout!!! Go on a run!!! GET THAT HEART RATE UP AND THOSE ENDORPHINS FLOWING!!! My runs have truly been my saving grace. I just put on my music and RUN!!!!!
- SOLO DANCE PARTIES IN MY KITCHEN!!!! I put on my favorite tunes (which has been a lot of motown and rap lately) and just dance like a crazy person. It’s very freeing, especially because I have been told repeatedly that I can’t dance like a Moroccan. Which is true. I don’t know how they move their hips like they do. But everyday I blast my American music and have a solo dance party where no one is telling me I’m dancing all wrong…Sorry neighbors for the loud music.
- Laugh!!! A LOT!!! You have to have a thick skin in Morocco… you just do. And when you feel like shit is hitting the fan or you’re so confused as to what the heck is going on, you just got to laugh. Your have to laugh at yourself… laugh for feeling like a big toddler. You have to laugh at awkward situations you find your self in. And most importantly!!!! Joke around!!! Be funny!!! I’m constantly joking around with my family and neighborhood kids. Mimicking and rough-housing with them. Laughter truly is the best medicine.
- Talking for hours and I mean HOURS on the phone with your Peace Corps Friends. (I get unlimited phone calls to volunteers. I know your probably rolling your eye right now thinking “oh yeah, Peace Corps is sooooo hard!!!”) My Moroccan family thinks I have a phone problem because I can easily spend and hour and a half talking to my friends.
So yeah, that’s how I keep sane here in lovely Morocco. Meditate, working out/running, solo dance parties, laughing, and talking to loved ones. Honestly everyone should live by these 5 tips no matter where you are in the world. Life is hard. You have to keep your mind and body healthy, otherwise you will fly over the cuckoo’s nest.
Got to go… “Proud Mary” just came on… time to get my groove on!!!